Thursday, September 18, 2008

Through the Years


"A wedding anniversary is the celebration of love, trust, partnership, tolerance and tenacity. The order varies for any given year." ~Paul Sweeney

Today is our Parent's 28th wedding anniversary and these days that is a big accomplishment in itself. In 28 years they have accomplished so much. They have raised 3 wonderful, smart, brillant, creative, well-rounded (ok maybe that's a little to much) kids. They bought their first home together and then their 2nd house in Texas. They have traveled with and without us. They would take us on family vacations to show us how things are different in other states and what those states look like. If we wanted to do or not. They encouraged us to be who we were and at the same time encouraged us to be who we wanted to be. Our Parents made sure we were involved in outside activities like Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, soccer, softball, Awana's, baton, band, youth group and many other activities. They allowed us to have pets like dogs, fish, cats, hamsters and more hamster. They showed us the importance of having friends, making time for those friends and knowing that friendships have their ups and downs just like and other relationship. They also made special time for each kids (of course I was the favorite... hehe). I can remember going to Micheal on Saturday mornings with just my Mom to make craft. Or going to Taco Bell after going to the fabric store to have a mexican pizza. I remember my Dad taking me to father-daughter dances where we would dress up and he taught me "the stroll" at the 50's dance. Or the time he took me to the Sycamore Inn, just him and me and my shrimp flew off my plate when I went to cut it. During the last 28 years they focused a lot on us Kids but some how made time to focus on themselves as a Husband and Wife as well. They have shown us that being married is more than just the ceremony and reception. It more than the kids, the dogs and the white picketed fence. Being married is a commitment that both a Husband and a Wife have to work on together to keep their relationship strong and keep the love for each other everlasting. So, Happy 28th Anniversary to Our Parents and here is to many many more!!!

2 comments:

GramsCookies said...

Wow look what your have learned...
Just dont make the same mistakes we have..make your own...hehe

Mitchell4 said...

Heehee. You guys made mistakes? teehee:0) Cheers and Amen to Lara's post. What sweet memories with both Mom and Dad. So neat. I love how they both traveled with and without the kids. I'll have to remember that one.